PR Account Executive
We are on the look out for new talent…
PR Account Executive
Day-to-day requirements of the role:
At Cartwright Communications, our account executives are responsible for the effective support of our clients and a vital part of our account teams, working closely with account managers and account directors.
Your account teams as well as your personal line manager are there to mentor and advise you, to ensure that you can continue to grow and develop, and so that you have support when it is needed.
You will be expected to work with your teams on traditional PR campaigns, as well as for social and digital focused projects.
Along with your account manager, you will be the main point of contact for the majority of your clients, and you will spend time developing strong working relationships with them. You will also be a key point of contact for your account teams who will rely on you in the supporting role.
Media relations will be a key element of your role, and you will use your growing knowledge of the media landscape to effectively sell-in stories to get results for your clients. Outside of traditional media, you will use established skills in social media and digital to effectively utilise a variety of channels on behalf of your clients and the agency itself.
Maintaining a high awareness of industry issues and trends will be important to your role, and you will use this knowledge to proactively suggest ideas to the senior team and to clients. Growing a commercial awareness and adding value to the bigger picture of the agency will be vital as you progress through the agency, and this element of the role will grow over time as you settle into our agency.
Key skills within the account executive role include organisation and efficiency. Following vital processes to ensure the smooth administrative operation of your accounts is vital. From press clippings to meeting notes – an enthusiastic and efficient administrative support system is vital for the success of any account. This should be a primary concern at all times.
Skills and experience necessary for this role:
- Experience: A training role or up to 2 years’ experience in PR/communications role.
- Organisational skills: Able to manage workload across client accounts and effectively manage time, prioritising work and efficiently supporting the client team.
- Ownership and responsibility: Able to take responsibility and be fully accountable for managing delegated projects, as well as overseeing day to day activity
- Managing client relationships: Expected to be a trusted key contact for clients and must therefore demonstrate a mature and confident approach.
- Media relations: Must develop a good understanding of how the media works and as you progress in the role, be able to tailor materials to suit different outlets – both social and traditional
- Social & Digital: Must be able to develop experience in creating social content and have a good understanding of social media channels and digital services
- Writing skills: Must show an understanding of what is ‘good’ writing and develop the ability to draft a variety of written materials – press releases, features, social media content, to a high standard
- Creativity: Expected to use insights and general knowledge to suggest innovative approaches to client campaigns and communication challenges
- Representing Cartwright: Expected to be an exceptional Cartwright ambassador at all times, representing the company in a professional way at all external and internal events.
- IT: Good overall IT skills and proficiency in Word, Excel, PPT
Account executive job description / person specification
- Conducts background research for press releases confidently and independently
- Produces good quality first drafts of press releases
- Is developing an understanding of writing for different audiences and recognises when to adapt writing style for trade and consumer
- Understands the format that press releases should follow and uses this model when writing own copy
- Can identify a news hook when given information / a brief to read through
- Is following the parameters set out in the style guide
Reporting / admin
- Updates PR meeting notes in good time before and after meetings
- Manages the monthly client reporting process as required for each account taking ownership of this task, chasing others when required
- Reports on and monitors media coverage as required for each client
- Ensures that client media lists are up to date and maintained
- Manages relationship with press clippings service agency and ensuring smooth running of this process
- Makes meeting appointments for senior team when required and ensures meeting arrangements and regular calendar appointments are kept up to date
- Supports office manager in all office management tasks including ordering stationery, tea and coffee supplies etc, answering the phones, answering the door and greeting visitors
- Effectively logs own activity into Cartwright timesheets
- Recognises internal and external deadlines and sticks to these as closely as possible, or proactively makes it known if deadlines cannot be met
- Uses ‘to do’ list / Microsoft tasks folder or equivalent to plan tasks on a daily basis
- Shows ability to prioritise tasks and has a good understanding of which should take precedence
- Communicates to others in the team when workload is particularly busy
- Is personable and able to build good relationships with the rest of the team
- Takes direction well from the senior team
- Is warm and able to communicate well with others
- Demonstrates a willingness to learn
- Takes feedback constructively
- Is developing own relationships with clients and is confident in contacting them directly
- Client should see account executive as point of contact for meeting notes, clippings etc and is contacting them directly about these things
Media relations / awareness
- Is able to undertake media sell-ins and can develop a news story to pitch to a journalist
- Is developing an understanding of different writing and reporting styles by reading a mix of national, regional and trade titles
- Proactively suggests media platforms and comment opportunities for clients
- Is developing a wider understanding of the media agenda and how it works
- Actively contributes to company brainstorms
- Takes responsibility for company social media – following up other team members re blog writing, suggesting stories which the team could write about etc. Also making contributions to twitter, Instagram etc
- Supports senior team members in the new business process with research and ideas